[FREE PDF] The Hundred Dresses Part 1 MCQs | First Flight Chapter 5 [TERM 1]
Dear students, recently CBSE announced that they will be gradually revising the question pattern in the upcoming examinations for almost all subjects, including English. They declared that from now on, at least 50% of the total questions will be multiple-choice based questions (MCQs). Based on this decision of the board, we have decided to come up with sessions discussing model MCQs as per the guidelines.
This session is going to be focused on MCQs exclusively based on class 10 English First Flight Chapter 5, 'The Hundred Dresses - I'.
Short Summary of The Hundred Dresses - I
'The hundred dresses', written by American author Eleanor Estes, touches on the topic of discrimination against Polish, Italian, Irish and Jewish immigrants in America. Wanda Petronski is a young Polish girl who has immigrated to America with her family and is attending school with American classmates in an American town. She is a quiet and poor girl with no friends. Her classmate Peggy is the most popular girl in class. She is pretty, has many pretty dresses and is rich. Peggy's best friend is Madeline who is poor as well, but not as much as Wanda.
Wanda is treated differently because the American students find her name and her ways funny. Peggy, Madeline and other girls like to tease and mock Wanda, asking her about the number of dresses, shoes and hats she has. Wanda always says that she has a hundred dresses lined up in her closet, making the girls laugh as they have only seen her in a faded blue frock which she wears to school every day. Madeline, who is also poor, feels afraid of being teased next and wants Peggy to stop. But she has no courage and chooses to let it be.
There is a drawing contest going on in their school and Peggy and Madeline rush to school because the winners are to be declared. The boys had to design motorboats and the girls had to design dresses. Maddie is confident that Peggy is going to win the girl's medal. However, when they reach their classroom, the room is filled with the design of beautiful dresses, and their teacher, Miss Mason announces that Wanda Petronski is the winner of the contest. While other girls submitted one or two designs each, she had submitted a hundred. According to the judges, each one of her designs is worthy of the first place. As Wanda has been absent for a few days, the teacher wishes she comes back soon. The students look at her designs in awe.
The Hundred Dresses Part 1 MCQs With Answers
- Who is the writer of the story, 'The Hundred Dresses'?
A. Eleanor Estes
B. Robert Frost
C. Rudyard Kipling
D. Liam O' Flaherty
Answer: A. Eleanor Estes
2. How is Wanda Petronski different from her classmates (in terms of nationality)?
A. She's American and her classmates are German.
B. She's Polish and her classmates are British.
C. She's American and her classmates are British.
D. She's Polish and her classmates are American.
Answer: D. She's Polish and her classmates are American.
3. When did the first Polish immigrants arrive in America?
Answer: C. 1608
4. What is the capital of Poland?
Answer: A. Warsaw
5. What is the largest 'Polish' city in the world?
Answer: B. Warsaw
6. What is the second largest 'Polish' city in the world?
B. New York
Answer: A. Chicago
7. What is the meaning of 'scuffling of feet'?
A. Noisy, dragging movements of the feet on the ground
B. An infectious disease
C. A game played by children
D. A fungal infection
Answer: A. Noisy, dragging movements of feet
8. In which room did Wanda Petronski sit?
A. Room twelve
B. Room thirteen
C. Room fourteen
D. Room fifteen
Answer: B. Room thirteen
9. Where was Wanda Petronski's seat?
A. Next to the last seat in the last row in room 13
B. Next to the second last seat in the last row in room 13
C. Next to the last seat in the second row in room 13
D. Last seat in the last row in room 13
Answer: A. Next to the last seat in the last row in room 13
10. Which sentence describes the situation around Wanda's seat best?
A. It was a dirty and noisy corner of the room where all the rough boys sat.
B. It was a peaceful corner.
C. All the studious kids sat there.
D. All the girls sat there.
Answer: A. It was a dirty and noisy corner of the room where all the rough boys sat.
11. Who started all the fun with Wanda Petronski?
A. Mark and Eddie
B. Mark and Peggy
C. Peggy and Madeline
D. Eddie and Madeline
Answer: C. Peggy and Madeline
12. Where did Wanda live?
A. Boggins heights
B. Hill road
C. Hill gardens
D. Boggins road
Answer: A. Boggins heights
13. On which day did Peggy and Madeline finally notice Wanda's absence?
A. On Monday
B. On Tuesday
C. On Wednesday
D. On Friday
Answer: C. On Wednesday
14. Why were Peggy and Madeline late to school?
A. Their bus was late.
B. They couldn't finish their homework in time.
C. They had waited for Wanda to have some fun with her but she just hadn't come.
D. They woke up late.
Answer: C. They had waited for Wanda to have some fun with her but she just hadn't come.
15. How many friends did Wanda have?
Answer: A. None
16. What was the colour of the dress that Wanda always wore to school?
A. Soft pink
B. Faded blue
C. Royal blue
D. Bright yellow
Answer: B. Faded blue
17. What does 'didn't hang right' mean?
A. Didn't fit properly
C. Was hung wrongly
D. Didn't sound right
Answer: A. Didn't fit properly
18. What is the meaning of 'nudge'?
A. A violent push
B. A gentle push
C. A type of bird
D. A type of sound
Answer: B. A gentle push
19. How many dresses did Wanda say she had in her closet?
Answer: D. 100
20. What does 'incredulous' mean?
A. Unwilling or unable to believe something
B. Aa amazing idea
C. Honest thoughts
D. Original and innovative
Answer: A. Unwilling or unable to believe something
21. What do you mean by 'stolidly'?
B. Not showing any feeling
Answer: B. Not showing any feeling
22. What does the word 'bullies' mean?
A. Compassionate people who help others
B. Those who use their strength or power to frighten weaker people
C. Arrogant people who do not like to talk
D. People who live alone
Answer: B. Those who use their strength or power to frighten weaker people
23. How many pairs of shoes did Wanda say she had?
Answer: C. 60
24. Why was Madeline bothered when Peggy teased Wanda?
A. Madeline was poor herself and was afraid that Peggy would tease her as well.
B. Madeline liked Wanda.
C. Madeline thought it was wrong to bully Wanda.
D. Madeline was a compassionate person.
Answer: A. Madeline was poor herself and was afraid that Peggy would tease her as well.
25. Why did other children treat Wanda differently?
A. She had a 'funny' last name and was poor.
B. She had too many dresses.
C. She dressed weirdly.
D. She looked different.
Answer: A. She had a 'funny' last name and was poor.
26. Madeline wore hand-me-down clothes. What does it mean?
A. Madeline wore sleeveless clothes.
B. Madeline wore full-sleeve clothes.
C. Madeline wore old dresses that were handed down to her by someone else.
D. Madeline wore new clothes.
Answer: C. Madeline wore old dresses that were handed down to her by someone else.
27. What does targeting someone mean?
A. Attacking someone deliberately
B. Attacking people randomly
C. Talking to someone
D. Not talking to someone
Answer: A. Attacking someone deliberately
28. What does mocking a person mean?
A. Talking to a person
B. Making fun of someone or something in a cruel way
C. Joking with a person
D. Ignoring a person
Answer: B. Making fun of someone or something in a cruel way
29. What did the girls have to design for the drawing and colouring contest?
Answer: B. Dresses
30. What did the boys have to design for the drawing and colouring contest?
Answer: A. Motorboats
31. Who did Madeline think would win the medal for designing dresses?
Answer: A. Peggy
32. Where did Peggy and Maddie usually wait for Wanda?
A. On the corner of Oliver Street
B. Near Hill Road
C. Near Boggins Heights
D. On the opposite corner of Hill Gardens
Answer: A. On the corner of Oliver Street
33. Who was going to announce the winners of the contest?
A. Mr Keesing
B. Mrs Jones
C. Miss Mason
D. Mrs George
Answer: C. Miss Mason
34. What does the word 'lavish' mean?
A. Very grand
C. Very cute
Answer: A. Very grand
35. What type of paper was used to draw the designs displayed in the classroom?
A. Chart paper
B. Art paper
C. Sheets of wrapping paper
D. White paper
Answer: C. Sheets of wrapping paper
34. Who won the motorboat design contest?
A. William Bounce
B. Sam Jackson
D. Jack Beggles
Answer: D. Jack Beggles
37. How many designs did Wanda submit for the contest?
Answer: C. 100
38. Who won the dress design contest?
Answer: C. Wanda
39. What does the word 'exquisite' mean?
A. Extremely beautiful and delicate
B. Rough and unfinished
C. Beautiful but rough
D. Not grand
Answer: A. Extremely beautiful and delicate
40. Who was the most popular girl in the class?
Answer: Answer this question in the comment section below. To know the right answer consider joining our Telegram channel.
These were our model MCQs based on the chapter, 'The Hundred Dresses - I'. I hope that going through this session helped you gain an understanding of the question mentality and demand of CBSE. For your further help, you can download this entire session and store it as a PDF. If you have liked this initiative and found the session useful, kindly leave a quick comment to let us know. Besides, if you want me to cover such MCQ sessions on any specific topic of English literature/language, please let us know that as well.
To get the latest update about our upcoming sessions please join our telegram channel. Thank you for being with us. Have an excellent exam ahead.
MCQs for CBSE Class 10 English with Answers First Flight Prose:
CHAPTER-1: A Letter To God MCQs
CHAPTER-2: Nelson Mandela MCQs
CHAPTER-3: Two Stories about Flying MCQs
CHAPTER-4: The Hundred Dresses - I
CHAPTER-5: The Hundred Dresses - II